Thursday, November 18, 2010



Why, I was asked the other day, are you building three mandolins? It's because I have three hooks on which to hang them. Actually, I have four hooks, but I need one to hang up my magnifying glasses, so I have some chance of seeing what I'm doing. Even young people, if in fact a young person were to build musical instruments, would probably need to see things more clearly, as many instrument thins are small. Instrument making isn't for everyone, in fact almost no one. Many, especially the younger folks find reward only in money, and there simply isn't much money in making guitars and such. Why, you say, the damn custom guitars cost thousands of dollars, surly a maker is getting rich. It costs much for quality materials. An average for one of my acoustic guitars for material alone is about $1600. And while an artist doesn't count hours to complete a project, it takes 250-350 hrs to complete a guitar.

No comments:

Post a Comment